Saturday, February 23, 2013


Jackie,

Tears have flowed as I have gathered memories to share with you. Participating with and learning from you for many years has given me some of the sweetest memories of my life. I remember how hard you worked to teach us “Cindy”, and whenever I hear The Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing it, I still marvel that you were able to break it into small parts to help us learn it.

I remember your treats after our last practices, a platform built so you could be seen better, “notes, words, rhythm, pick two”, all the good-natured heckling you took from the basses and tenors (especially the bass I married), challenges with sound systems, and your famous (although quiet) solo.

While your musical talents and dedication come to mind foremost, close behind is your love for the Lord. Your testimonies and trust in the Lord when the task seemed daunting brought a great spirit that helped us perform beyond any of our abilities. I came to anticipate your sweet testimony and expressions of faith that the Lord would help us to  set the tone for the music and invite the spirit. 

I remember singing together in difficult  funerals, after 9/11, when Sis. Beck came to visit, and when one visiting authority asked for a surprise number during Stake Conference. I am so grateful I got to learn “Come, Come Ye Saints”,  “The Spirit of God”, “I Need Thee Every Hour”, and “Were You There?” 

No memory is sweeter than singing at the cornerstone dedication of the temple in Columbia. 

I wish I could find words to express my gratitude for your ability to pull talent from me and let me contribute to music that helped bring the spirit not only into many meetings, but into the lives of the performers. I know we worked hard in practices, but I know you worked much, much harder before we ever came to those practices. I learned from you not only a lot about music, but also about faith. I have used those lessons many times, knowing that the Lord would help make up for my deficiencies when I have tried my best.

Thank you again for all your hard work and dedication. And for the memories.

Love, Wanda Novak

No comments:

Post a Comment